submitting to Wordworks
WordWorks is published three times a year and distributed by mail and in digital form to our subscription list of readers and writers and to schools, libraries, and other literary organizations in BC and Yukon. Content is provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit (a portion of payment will go towards membership). We are a publication by and for the BC and Yukon writing community. Unless there is a compelling reason, we do not publish works by writers living outside of British Columbia or Yukon, Canada.
Would you like to contribute to the spring 2021 publishing issue?
1. Pitch an article on an aspect of publishing. Include your full name, phone number and website.
2. Suggest publishing topics we should include in this issue.
3. Tell us if you’ve written an article or blog post about an aspect of publishing. We pay $50.00 for selected reprints.
4. Send questions you have about writing, editing, publishing, marketing, and distribution for the new “Ask Barb” feature.
5. Tell us about your e-book. Would you recommend the process you used? Are you happy with how it turned out?
6. Send us a photo you think might make a great cover for the publishing issue.
7. Are you a cartoonist? Please send us links to your work.
8. Send suggestions for themes you’d like to see in future issues.
9. Send photos of writers and readers doing their thing during the pandemic.
Email email@example.com by February 5, 2021
Guidelines for written submissions
- We welcome articles on theme, but include many others in each issue: craft, humour, business, collaborations–as long as a topic is of use and interest to writers, we want to hear about it. Please query firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas and proposals. Article length is 600 words or fewer, but we do publish longer articles by agreement.
- We pay writers upon publication. Current rates are twenty-five cents a word for articles ($50 for reprints). These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts your work for publication.
- We no longer read unsolicited submissions of poetry or prose.
We are also interested in art
- Please send a lower resolution version of the artwork as a query to email@example.com
- We pay $100 for cover art and $25 for other interior illustrations.
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, read the current issue and have a look through some back issues as well.
Editorial schedule and themes
(these dates and themes are subject to change without notice)
2020 Volume II: Fiction in all its forms: Romance, speculative, mystery, literary, horror, historical, erotic; scripts, short form, novels and more.
Editorial Deadline and Ad Booking Deadline – June 15
2020 Volume III: Non-Fiction: Journalism, blogging, history, memoir, podcasts, local and family history, and more.
Editorial Deadline and Ad Booking Deadline – October 15
2021 Volume I: Publishing
Editorial Deadline and Ad Booking Deadline – February 15
Please query firstname.lastname@example.org with your article ideas and proposals.