WordWorks is published three times a year and distributed by mail and email to a broad list of BC readers interested in literature. Content is provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit (a portion of payment will go towards membership). We are a publication by and for the BC writing community. Unless there is a compelling reason, we do not publish works by writers living outside of BC.
Guidelines for written submissions
- Unless otherwise specified, under 1200 words for all submissions.
- Unless otherwise specified, up to 60 lines (including title) for poetry; up to three poems in a single submission.
- For articles, please query email@example.com. Poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction submissions go through Submittable: fbcw.submittable.com/submit
- We pay writers. Current rates are twenty-five cents a word for articles ($50 for reprints) and $50 for creative prose pieces or poems, These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts it for publication.
We are also interested in art
- We are looking for high-res images of paintings, photography, sketches, or multimedia.
- Please send a 5mb or smaller version of the artwork as a query–if shortlisted, we will ask for a larger version.
- We pay $100 for cover art and $25 for other interior images. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, visit the WordWorks archives and have a look through some back issues.
Coming schedule and themes (query email@example.com)
(these dates and themes are subject to change without notice)
Editorial Deadline and Ad Booking Deadline – February 11, 2020