WordWorks is published quarterly for members of the Federation of BC Writers and distributed by mail and email to a broad list of readers interested in literature in BC. Theme editions of WordWorks are also produced. Content is provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit. A portion of writers payment will go towards membership, if applicable. If you would like to submit something, or if you have a story idea you would like to see included in WordWorks, please submit here, through Submittable.com. We are currently searching for submissions of articles and art for our Summer and Fall issues. See dates and themes below. While we do accept submissions of fiction and poetry, we publish very few pieces each issue–usually 1-3.
Submission Guidelines for written submissions
- Unless otherwise specified, between 400 and 1500 words for fiction and creative non-fiction submissions.
- Unless otherwise specified up to 60 lines (including title) for poetry, up to three poems in a single submission.
- For fiction or creative non-fiction: MS-word, Rich Text or Text formatted file. Double spaced. Include name, email address, phone number and word count in a header on the first page. Avoid use of tabs, padding using space-bar and other unusual formatting techniques. Indent first line of paragraphs .25 inches.
- For poetry: MS-word, Rich Text or Text formatted file. Include name, email address, phone number and line count in a header on a separate cover page.
- All submissions attached to covering email to email@example.com
- We pay for published submissions. Current rates are .25/word for prose submissions, $50 per poem, $100 per cover art, and $25.00 per interior image. These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- We are willing to accept reprints, but will not pay full rates for such submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts it for publication. We will not be able to pay full rates if it has already been published.
We are also interested in cover art
- High-quality large submissions of paintings, photography, sketches, or multimedia are considered
- Please send a 5mb or less version of the artwork as a query–if shortlisted, we will ask for a larger version
- All published covers will be paid. For current rates, or to submit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, visit the WordWorks archives and have a look through some back issues.
Coming Schedule and Themes
(these dates and themes are subject to change without notice)
Files to Printer – April 29th
Approx. Release date from mail house – May 15th
Files to Printer – August 24th
Release date from mail house – September 7th
Files to Printer – December 11
Release date from mail house – January 4