WordWorks is published quarterly for members of the Federation of BC Writers and distributed by mail and email to a broad list of readers interested in literature in BC. Theme editions of WordWorks are also produced. Content is provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit. A portion of writers payment will go towards membership, if applicable. If you would like to submit something, or if you have a story idea you would like to see included in WordWorks, please submit here, through Submittable.com. While we do accept submissions of fiction and poetry, we publish very few pieces each issue–usually 1-3.
Submission Guidelines for written submissions
- Unless otherwise specified, under 2000 words for all submissions.
- Unless otherwise specified up to 60 lines (including title) for poetry, up to three poems in a single submission.
- All submissions to go through Submittable: fbcw.submittable.com/submit
- We pay for published submissions. Current rates are .25/word for articles, and $75 per poem or creative prose piece. We also pay $100 for cover art and $25.00 for other interior images. These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- We are willing to accept reprints, but will not pay full rates for such submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts it for publication. We will not be able to pay full rates if it has already been published.
We are also interested in cover art
- High-quality large submissions of paintings, photography, sketches, or multimedia are considered
- Please send a 5mb or less version of the artwork as a query–if shortlisted, we will ask for a larger version
- All published covers will be paid. For current rates, or to submit, please email email@example.com
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, visit the WordWorks archives and have a look through some back issues.
Coming Schedule and Themes
(these dates and themes are subject to change without notice)
Files to Printer – August 24th
Release date from mail house – September 7th
Files to Printer – December 11
Release date from mail house – January 7
Editorial Deadline and Ad Booking Deadline – February 11
Files to Printer – April 22
Release date from mail house – May 7