Open Poetry Contest
The FBCW seeks your best unpublished Poem that reflects your unique writing style. There is no theme or required subject matter. We look forward to your submissions. To submit, click here.
Judge – Canadian poet, vocalist, spoken word performer and mentor Jude Neale. For Jude’s bio CLICK HERE.
Prizes – The first prize winner will receive a cash prize of $350 and a year’s FBCW membership.
- The deadline for submissions is Midnight (PST) February 1, 2020.
- A short list will be published at www.bcwriters.ca on March 8, 2020.
- Winners will be notified by email.
- Winners will be announced at www.bcwriters.ca on March 15, 2020.
- Winning entries may be published in the FBCW magazine WordWorks. The winners will also receive one year’s FBCW membership.
- One poem per entry, maximum length 30 lines, including title.
- Entry fee for each submission is $10 for FBCW members, $20 for non-FBCW members. (To join the FBCW, if you so desire, go to ca and use the coupon code CONTEST for a 25% reduction for new members).
- All submitted work must be original, previously unpublished, and not awaiting publication anywhere. Previously published is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Please use one inch margins, a black serif 12-point font such as Times New Roman (no coloured fonts), or your submission will be disqualified.
- Single-spaced stanzas with a double space between stanzas.
- Acceptable file formats are .doc, .docx, or .pdf
- Entries will be strictly blind-judged. To assure anonymity please do not put your name on your poem in the file you upload or in the file name. Make sure the title of your piece is in the file name.
- This contest is limited to writers who reside in BC.
Judging will be based on
- Compelling and original use of language.
- Overall writing craft.
How to Submit
To enter please CLICK HERE. You will need to have ready:
- Your submission in a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file format with no identifiable information on any of the pages.
- A cover letter, including a short biographical statement. This will be pasted into the form, not attached.
- The title of the submission.
- A PayPal account or credit card to pay the submission fee.
Only online entries will be accepted. FBCW has designated the external site Submittable to manage the submissions to the contest. No changes or edits are accepted to a submission once you have submitted but you may submit up to three entries.
If you have any questions, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating in Literary Writes and best wishes for your writing.