Creative Non-Fiction Workshop
DESCRIPTION: With responsibilities to self, truth and compelling storytelling, how do writers of Creative Non-Fiction balance the demands of Place, the Imagination, and effective Literary Citizenship in uncertain times? Author, scholar and film-maker Trevor Carolan will present and lead a Q & A discussion addressing :
* writing from the margins, working from the mainstream, finding our own niche;
* the enduring relevance of literary tradition and mythology;
* how the socially-engaged writer can help shape a new vision of what community can be;
* can cultural responsibility become a burden for the writer?
* on Writing Well – some Narrative basics;
* How do we know when Our Writing Is Good Enough?
* Aesthetic Mindfulness, catharsis, spirituality & the Creative Process;
* the Importance of Place, Dialogue, Motivation;
* hybrid genre issues: where is The New Generation Reader Leading Us?
Trevor will share specific techniques for improving, thickening up narrative depth, and strengthening the creative elements of your writing practice.
Presenter – Trevor Carolan
Venue – Moved to Dodds Narrows Room B, Vancouver Island Conference Centre, 80 Commercial St., Nanaimo
Date & Time – Saturday May 4th 2:00PM – 3:30PM
Cost – $37 Members $47 Non-Members