The Federation of British Columbia Writers, in partnership with the Fraser Valley Writers’ School, presents a course for the beginning and emerging writer.
In this eight week course, you’ll receive instruction, advice, and critique from established professionals about techniques for good writing and an effective writing life while exploring various aspects of literary works: fiction, poetry/lyric prose, and creative non-fiction.
Through exercises, examples and discussion, you’ll examine:
- the principles of great story telling, story structure and plotting
- the creation and development of effective and memorable images
- the skills required for specific, concrete writing
- the use of the five senses to create a real world for your reader
- techniques to bring conflict, tension, and suspense into your writing.
Each week, you’ll workshop your writing with the instructors and fellow participants.
During the final two weeks, you’ll learn about the fundamentals of social media and webpage design, essential for building your writer’s platform in today’s arts community.
Dates: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, September 24, October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, and November 5 and 12 2014.
Place: 618 Columbia Street, New Westminster, BC ( two blocks from either Skytrain station)
Instructors: David Blinkhorn, Heidi Greco, and Ebenezer Mills-Robertson
Cost: $75 for FBCW members, $130 for non-FBCW members
Contact FBCW Executive Director, David Blinkhorn at or for more information or to register.
When registering for this course, you can join FBCW for $40 to take advantage of our member’s rate for this course.