CONFERENCE PROGRAM (Subject to Additions & Amendments)
Conference hours: 9 am to 4:30 pm | Map & Directions
- 9:00 Doors Open – Registration (No preregistration required)
- 9:30 am to 3 pm – Speakers
- 9:30 Welcome – Ben Nuttall-Smith, Federation of BC Writers President
- 9:35 Shape of the Day – Craig Spence, FBCW Executive Director
- 9:45 Edit, Then Edit Some More – Members of the Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island talk about the importance of reworking your MS and inviting looks from fresh, professional eyes.
- 10:45 Book Design Inside and Out – Your book has about seven seconds to catch a reader’s eye from the bookstore shelf. Suzanne Anderson, author of Self Publishing in Canada, will tell you what you need to know about cover design and layout of both print books and ebooks.
- 11:45 Off to Press – Craig Shemilt of Island Blue Printorium on what it takes to produce a Quality Book for you and your readers. Learn to avoid the 12 Items that Self Publishers do to Sabotage their Success.
- 12:45 It’s a Wrap – Patrick O’Connor of First Choice Books considers book size, the kind of paper and binding type to use, and the best design. See samples at the First Choice table display.
- 1:45 Taking it to the People – Bruce Batchelor of Agio Publishing, author of Book Marketing Demystified, talks about how you get your finished book into the hands and minds of readers.
- 3:00 text Magazine – Editor in Chief Shaleeta Harper and Editor philip gordon describe how the idea of an up-and-coming literary magazine, centered in Nanaimo with a view of the world, became a reality, why it’s still going, and just how far they plan to go with it. Their presentation will be spiced with fiction and poetry readings from several contributors, and an open Q & A session. Copies of both issues of the magazine will be available to all.
- 4:30 Conference Wind Up – Good-byes and Thank Yous
Ongoing & Off Main
- Darin Steinkey of Alridge Street Print & Media talks about the different styles of editing and why self-publishing authors should consider hiring an editor for their manuscript. Register for this breakout session at the Aldridge Street table.
- Professional Editors’ Association of Vancouver Island will hold Individual blue pencil breakout sessions (Bring your sample copy, Register at PEAVI table)
- Exhibitor Tables on the outer perimeter from participating organizations and businesses
- Meet the experts who can help you reach your readers
- Enter the ‘Pitch-it’ full self-publishing package contest
- Expert presentations on every aspect of self-publishing
- A FREE event for BC’s ‘community of writers’
For more information email