Federation of BC Writers 2017 Short Fiction Contest: “True Confessions From My Summer Vacation”
The FBCW invites writers to submit a 1000-word short fiction story, accompanied by a photograph, that speaks to the subject “True Confessions From My Summer Vacation.” How true, how recent? It’s all in the telling! We look forward to being entertained by your summer-inspired tales. Novelist Jennifer Manuel (winner of the 2017 Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize for her acclaimed novel, The Heaviness of Things That Float) will select the winning entry in the Fall.
Details & Guidelines
- Submission Deadline: August 31, 2017, Midnight
- Entry fees are $5 for FBCW members, $10 for non-FBCW members.
- Prize for winning entry: $350, 1 years membership in the FBCW, publication in our quarterly magazine, WordWorks
- Dates: A short list will be published at bcwriters.ca on September 20th, 2017, Winner will be notified September 27th, and the winner will be announced on September 29th.
- One story per entry, maximum length 1000 words, including title, double spaced, 12 point font.
- Please include a photograph illustrating your entry. This is not a photography contest, photography will be judged only in terms of its relationship to the story.
- All submitted work must be original, previously unpublished, and not awaiting publication anywhere. Previously published is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- For acceptable file formats for text and photographs, see Submittable. You’ll be safe with .docx and .jpg, but others may be acceptable.
- Entries will be blind-judged. To assure anonymity please do not put your name on your story or poem in the file you upload or in the file name. Make sure the title of your piece is in the file name.
Judging will be based on
- Fresh and compelling use of language
- Creative and interesting development of a theme.
- Overall writing style
- How the writer uses the opportunity to combine two genres – words and pictures.
How to Submit
To enter, please visit bcwriters.ca/contest, and follow the directions listed on the page. You will need to have ready:
- A cover letter, including a short biographical statement. This will be pasted into the form, not attached.
- The title of the submission
- A PayPal account or credit card to pay the submission fee
Only online entries will be accepted. FBCW has designated the external site Submittable to manage the submissions to the contest. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org